View Single Post
Old 05-17-2021, 01:38 AM   #6
joedoh

Re: Problem with Neutral Safety Switch Continuity - Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoJuice View Post
Joedoh,

Thank you for responding. Sorry but can you please clarify your answer? As far as I see it is behaving the way it should but the opposite of how it should be. It should be reading 1 IN GEAR and 0.3 in Park and Neutral.

sure, I can explain.

first I am pretty sure you are seeing the NSSS as some kind of input device to another logic circuit, so it will see the 1 in gear and trigger some kind of interrupt device. that is NOT how it works. it is its own logic device.

logic devices are binary, 1 for closed and 0 for open. (in your case 0.3 for open, but binary is zero).

because there is no second device to perform the interuption of the start signal, the NSSS is NORMALLY CLOSED (1) and is OPEN when the ball is depressed. so when it is IN park or nuetral, the ball is NOT DEPRESSED, and current (in this case the start signal from the key) can flow from one pin on the NSSS to the other pin on the NSSS, allowing the start signal from the key to go to the starter solenoid.

Imagine a man holding a wire in each hand and watching the shifter very carefully. the wire in his right hand goes to the start position on the key, the wire in his left goes to the starter solenoid. he holds the two wires together (normally closed) when the shifter is in park or neutral, but if any gear is selected he sees it, and opens his hands. a start signal may be sent from the key to the wire in his right hand but because his hands are open, the circuit is not completed. when the shifter is in park or neutral, a start signal from the key will flow from the wire in his right hand to the wire in his left, completing the circuit from the key switch to the start solenoid.

so take your start wire in your harness, and cut it in half, so you have one side going to the key and one side going to the starter. put each of the wires on a single pin on the NSSS, extending them if you have to. when the switch is CLOSED (1) in park or neutral, the wire is effectively one continuous wire, and the truck will start. when the truck is in gear, the connection is open at the NSSS, the truck will not start.

now it could be that your NSSS is a normally open switch, where the two wires are not connected unless the ball is depressed. this is semantic to the argument, and clutch type NSSS work this way (clutch depressed to start). it does not change the operation. in closed position (1) the current flows in 0 it does not.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393

Last edited by joedoh; 05-17-2021 at 01:44 AM.
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote