View Single Post
Old 05-18-2021, 11:28 AM   #14
NeoJuice

Re: Problem with Neutral Safety Switch Continuity - Help!

Ok a little update on the NSS issue. Last night I had some time to mess around with the shifter and re-read through all of the instructions over and over again.

Step 1: Remove the shifter boot and floor plate to get a little more working room.

Step 2: I loosened off the two bolts on the passenger banana bracket so I could check and line up the marker on the shifter and the alignment plug. With the bolts loosened I find I'm not getting enough adjustment.

Step 3: While removing the two bolts on the passenger side only to find out that the pressure on the shifter was stripping the bolts on there way out. At this point I dont know if the threads in the passenger side banana bracket are stripped or not.

Step 4: With the bolts now removed I can adjust the pass side banana bracket and line it up in the correct spot and grab some vice grips to hold it in place. This step took a little adjustment to get right.

Step 5: Re-install NSS and check for continuity with multimeter. With the banana bracket clamped in place I now have 0.3 open circuit(Power) in Park and Neutral and 1(no power) in R, D, OD, 2, 1

Step 6 (to be completed): Remove rod end from quad lever and remove shifter assembly from main plate.

Step 7 (to be completed): Check pass side banana bracket for stripped threads and re-tap as necessary and install new bolts.

Step 8 (to be completed): Re-install shifter assembly on main plate and hookup rod end to quad lever.

Step 9 (to be completed): Test shifting and continuity.

Step 10 (to be completed): Run wiring from ignition-->NSS-->NSS-->Starter.

Step 11 (to be completed): Start truck and test starting shifting positions.

See attached images.

So I guess at this point it's kind of a case closed and my own stupidity and always end up doing things at least twice. I'm just hoping I didnt strip those banana bracket bolts out but that will see once I have a chance to remove the shifter.

Oh and while I was at it, I reached my hand down under the master cylinder and the issue I thought I had resolved with my brake fluid dripping from the master is still there. So I dont know what I'm going to do about that. It's either the lid or the master.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=818710
Attached Images

NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote