View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #100
torchlight

Re: Marvin (1953 3100)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root2812 View Post
Today I scored a LS2 accessory drive that is the same as the one you have so I decided to revisit your thread. How serviceable do you think the alternator will be. I think I'll use them for clearance like you did but if its almost impossible to pull the alternator I might rethink that.

Looking forward to some updates too.
You are absolutely right, it is well past due for an update! I have been beyond incredibly busy with work since Christmas that I haven't had as much free time as I would like. So much travel!

Also, progress on Marvin has been slowed a bit because he got to the point where it was time to go to the body shop for prep and paint, and the shop I'm using didn't have any openings in their schedule for awhile. So had to sit and wait a bit. But I'll post some pictures of progress since the last update.

Oh, but first I wanted to answer your great question about the front accessory drive. First answer would be that I don't think the alternator will be easily serviceable. With the inner fenders and radiator on, it would be a tight fit indeed to reach it, and definitely not possible to remove it without taking some of the front sheetmetal off. Definitely an inconvenience, and probably some motivation to get a high quality alternator in there. I'm hoping that the times I'll need to get to the alternator will be few and far between.

Also, you'll see in the pictures that I did have to change my front drive accessories since my last update. Still the same concept - just changed to a drive off of a 98-02 camaro/firebird instead of the 06 CTS set that I was using. The reason for this change was that my sanden A/C compressor bracket from Alan Grove was incompatible with the CTS pulley/bracket spacing. Had to go to the camaro/firebird setup to get it to work. Everything is in the same place, just that the camaro/firebird pulleys stick out a smidgen more. Everything still fits behind the radiator, though. I did get a shortened water pump from Evans Cooling because the stock camaro water pump has such a long nose on it.

Ok, updates!