View Single Post
Old 05-30-2021, 10:00 PM   #122
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Bigass Farm Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
I've been enjoying watching your progress on this truck, but that video was NOT what I expected when I followed the link Lookin good!
Haha, perfect. The song popped in my head because I was going for a drive down highway 68 in my big old pickup truck. My daughters showed me that years ago and it stuck. LOL.

Didn't do a lot today. I routed some wires after getting them loomed up. Connected a ground wire that was missed for the light harness. Most of the wiring is still a loose mess but I'll work on it. I've got bigger fish to fry...

Wanted to put some miles on it and I needed some things so I asked the wife if she wanted to ride along. She brought the puppy with because he needs more exposure to the public. So we went for a bit longer drive today and had transmission problems. Thought I fixed the leak but didn't. Fixed it in the store parking lot. And added 2 quarts of tranny fluid. It didn't leak that much, it was just low because I hadn't really filled it all the way, which is one of the things I needed from the store. The leak was solved by Just using some Teflon tape on fitting threads. The bigger problem though is it loses overdrive after it warms up. And then it really hunts for gears between 2nd and 3rd at part throttle. It got me home, 40 mile round trip. Nothing is hot.

I found a website that tells how to diagnose the most common problems with the 4L80e and I think it's an electrical side issue and not mechanical. I could be wrong but the symptoms seem to indicate a sensor problem sending bad info to the ECU or a solenoid acting up. I'm going to get the codes read for it and talk to a couple mechanic friends and see if I can figure it out. Fingers crossed that I don't have to pull the tranny. I think I only paid about $400 but that doesn't mean I want to dump a grand or 2 into it now.

Picture could be titled "because roadkill". Not the first time doing repairs in a store lot. Probably not the last.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote