View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #124
Bruce88

Re: It’s Just A Pickup

People in your rear view mirrors are normally not a problem until they run into you.

Been looking over my doors and front fenders for work that will be required. With the rust and damage needing to be repaired and the cost of the body man bring it into condition after my replacing of bad metal, it would be cheaper for me to replace the doors and fenders if I can eliminate the shipping charges for oversize items. I’m going to be sending the body out for bondo and final painting so their cost is a factor.

I’m lucky in that I live close enough to Classic Heartbeat Pickup Parts that I can drive down there and pick up the parts with no shipping charges when the parts come in. A definite benefit when the cost of shipping can be more than the cost of the part.

Wanting to locate the sport mirrors at the factory location on the new doors when they come in, I looked up the factory assembly instructions. In the factory they probably had a jig tool to locate the holes and the only dimensions on the drawing are from body stations and water lines that are not marked on the door. So I added some dimensions in red to the drawing obtained from my original doors. This should make it possible to get the mirrors within .10 inch of the factory location (close enough for me HA HA). Maybe you could use the information (see picture below)

Name:  Mirror-1.jpg
Views: 12748
Size:  90.1 KB

The sport mirrors on the truck where in bad shape. Got two new ones # 38-5846 & # 38-5847 reproduction sport mirrors from LMC. The mirror can have a sharp edge so I covered the edge with AT1007 (small black) door trim by Elegant to prevent any one from getting cut. Heated the trim up to 110 degrees in the oven to get it to bend around the tight corners of the mirror. Installed some MS21059-3 (10-32) floating nut plates on the mirror mount reinforcing plate and will be using 10-32 stainless steel machine screws to mount the mirrors (these nut plates are generally found on aircraft just had a few laying around)

Name:  Mirror-2.jpg
Views: 11673
Size:  63.6 KB

Looking back is not always a waist of time and with some rear view mirrors it’s a little easer (HA HA)