Thread: Removing Stumps
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2022, 06:00 AM   #10
special-K
Special Order

Re: Removing Stumps

So far here I have just let stumps rot. The other way would be cut them high and push with loader. I have dug around roots before to saw it out on smaller trees. The big ones I let nature take away. I'll just plunge cut a bunch of slots in the top using a crappy old chain I keep for such things. If I need the stump gone now to complete other work I'll hire a tree service with stump grinder. I have two rotting now I considered hiring a stump grinder for, then decided to live with them until they rot. One is maple, the other cherry. To me, for all the time and hard labor and so many others things I need to get done, this is a thing worth paying for so I can be catching up elsewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
Same here. High winds and dry brush. Fires are a BIG no no. Or at least be super careful with them.

I was at the campground and a guy had dumped his charcoal ashes in the dumpster and it caught on fire. Fortunately the dumpster contained the fire because it was really going strong for a while.

The guy that dumped the ashes came forward and said that he thought for sure that those ashes were out. They had sat overnight. He didn't mean any harm. But he sure cooked that dumpster.
They sat overnight, but this adult has made it this far not knowing you have to stir and spread? That the ash insulates the heat and it's still as hot at the bottom just waiting for oxygen? Yeah, the oxygen came when he poured them into the dumpster, duh. My stepson, at about 10 years old, started a fire by dumping the ash bucket behind a shed I used to have. Leaves caught and we had a fast little flash fire under and around the shed, VFD and all. I was at work. My wife had him all worried about what his mean old man was going to do when he got home. I just told him "Now you know what not to do", and explained how hot ashes work. He said his grandmother taught him to stick your hand in to check before dumping. What??? I told him forget he ever heard that! Stir with a stick!

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 07-03-2022 at 10:04 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote