Dannyboy1966

Re: Engine gets hot at idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbucktrucks View Post
Do You have a fan shroud??
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Do you have a fan shroud?
Is your fan half in/half out of the shroud?
Any obstructions in front of the rad?
Have you put a piece of paper in front of the rad to watch for air flow thru the rad?
Does your top rad hose pressure up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed66 View Post
(Adding to these questions)
How's your coolant? Half & Half? Fairly new?
Flushed the system any?
Bled out any trapped air?
Have you used a pyrometer to check that it's actually overheating? Sending units can do weird things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
And a few more!!
Check the bottom hose. Could be collapsing.
Do you have a properly functioning coolant overflow system?
What's your rad cap rated at? Is it new or old?
Do you have the heater core hooked up or bypassed?
What's your initial timing? Retarded timing makes heat at idle!
Ok guys I do have a fan shroud, it's the factory one, The fan is fully inside of it. The coolant is a 50/50 blend, and is pretty much all new because at the time I replaced the thermostat, I also replaced both heater hoses, and the upper radiator hose, and the ancient radiator cap it had on it. I put on a 16 psi cap. The coolant overflow recovery is working fine. No air in the system, I bled that out when I refilled it. Timing I'm not sure of, checking and setting timing on this thing is a 2 person job, It's one of those you have to shoot down between the waterpump and the front of the block to see the timing marks. By the way I would love to find the guy that came up with that bright idea, and shoot them in the head.. LOL Now I have not checked to see if the lower radiator hose is collapsing or not, good idea I forgot about that, I'll check it today. As far as air flow through the Rad. I've sprayed my garden hose through it, it sprays through so good it comes out through the grill. The A/C was disconnected when I got it so I pulled the condenser coil out to see if it might have been plugged up and blocking things, it wasn't. The temp gauge is an aftermarket one hanging on the bottom of my dash, same as my oil pressure gauge, don't know why the PO did this for. My cluster has a full set of gauges. Of course it did come out with the 6.2 diesel in it, and the PO blew it up, and replaced it with the 350, i just figured thats why he went with the hang on gauges.
Dannyboy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote