View Single Post
Old 09-20-2022, 03:08 PM   #7
pjmoreland

Re: October 2022 ToTM

1968 Chevy Shortbed Stepside

It's been raining for the last few days, but it let up for a while, so I was able to take some photos this morning.

Gregski likes to call it "Annoying Orange" or "Orange Crush," depending on his mood. My wife calls it "The Tangerine Machine." When I first bought it, it had a license plate frame that said, "Big Poppa's Ride." I'm not sure who Big Poppa was, but I sure would have liked to meet him.

I believe this truck was owned by CalTrans originally (their trucks were 516 Tangier orange). There are some leftover rivets where I believe an asset tag was attached. Also, the blue/yellow license plates are from the early '70s. The original plates would have been black/yellow and marked "Exempt" so they would have been replaced when the truck was put up for sale to the general public.

This truck hasn't had a frame-off restoration. The rockers are solid and original. It got a re-spray in the late '90s, and a previous owner painted the original fawn interior black, along with the A pillars. I replaced the driver door and bed fender to repair some damage caused by a previous owner. The body shop did a good job of color-matching.

L31 Vortec engine
4L60 transmission with custom Arduino TCC controller
3.73 with Eaton Posi
Buddy buckets
Tach/vac gauge cluster
AM/FM truck radio
Quick ratio power steering
Front disc brake conversion/drop spindles with power booster
Boyd rear tank with in-tank fuel pump
Rally wheels with custom 7" rims in the front
Lowered 3.5/6, 255/60R15 rear, 215/70R15 front
Attached Images

Last edited by pjmoreland; 09-20-2022 at 03:20 PM.