View Single Post
Old 01-17-2022, 01:47 PM   #173
landarts
landarts

Re: 71 K20 Idaho Edition

So back to the Idaho edition build with the motor I pulled from the truck is in great shape, has good compression and is a strong running motor.
So I will keep this motor in the truck and just freshen it up a bit. Here is the plan going forward on the motor.

These are the items on the motor that I am replacing from the top down:
-Edelbrock 1406 carb with electric choke
-Edelbrock 2701 Performer intake manifold
-Edelbrock valve covers
-Pertronics Flame Thrower HEI small cap distributor
-Pertronics 45K Flamethrower coil
-Jegs Ram Horn exhaust manifolds
-ACDelco water pump
-New fuel pump
-Spectra thermostat housing
-Gates thermostat
-Taylor spark plug wires
-ACDelco spark plugs
-Wire loom holder
-Woven heat shield boots to go over spark plug wires to protect from exhaust manifold
-New heater hoses 5/8" and 3/4"
-New Grommets for valve covers
-New belts
-Duplicolor primer and ceramic paint

Spent a boat load of time degreasing and cleaning up the motor for paint. Had to do it in the garage so I laid down a large piece of thick Visqueen plastic to catch any of the mess falling down on the floor. I also have an hard plastic tray that mounts on bottom of engine stand to catches fluids. So I started with the needle scaler to knock off any hard oil deposits then moved into the oven cleaner from the dollar store. Couple of rounds of that then moved on to a few degreaser products with a bunch of scrubbing. Finished off with a round of Brilo soap pads and rinsed with water from spray bottle. Wiped it down with wax and grease remover and shot the first round of primer to see if any thing pops up that I missed or primer not sticking. That went well so I shot two coats of black Duplicolor ceramic paint.

I a few days of the motor paint curing I started the weekend assembling the motor parts. Everything went well bolting on and also for the first time did the spark plug wires cut to fit using the new terminal crimper cutter I bought. That process took for ever on the first side and once I got the hang of it about 20-30 minutes to do the other side. Over all the motor freshen up went the way I wanted it to go and really like the look of how it turned as well as the added performance.
Attached Images

68 Second Chance
Fix and Sale 72 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 K2500
The "Fixrupr" build thread

72 Cheyenne 1/2 ton " FIXRUPR " - daily driver
67 C20 all original paint
71 K20 Custom 4x4 (Idaho Edition)
72 K20 GMC Super Custom 4x4
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
69 K10 Custom package 4x4 (69 K10 from the field)
72 K10 Custom
71 K10 Custom
72 K20 Custom Deluxe 4x4
72 K20 Crew Cab Project
71 GMC Jimmy CST
72 Blazer
70 Blazer
landarts is offline   Reply With Quote