Thread: 47-55.1 Tie rod questions
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #26
MARTINSR

Re: Tie rod questions

I have only set up one frame clip before and I went with the basics that may help you here. You want it at ride height. Now, if the weight an AD and the weight of the car or truck that your suspension came from is way different this could be hard. If it is, the springs should be changed so they put the truck at the same ride height as when those parts were on the originally. But that isn't likely, soooooooo you will be guessing a bit.

But, if you remove the shocks and put a piece of all-thread in place of them and tighten up the all-thread shortening it bringing the truck down compressing the springs to a ride height similar to what the truck will have with all the weight on it you will see all the angles of the suspension that it will have once the truck is assembled.

This may provide you with the comfort knowing it will all work, or it will throw you a loop that you have some changing to do.

If the suspension came off something with similar weight as your AD you could simply measure the distance between the lower control arm and the crossmember and put it at that. But when those weights are off and you have different springs that is all pretty tough. But realistically as has been mentioned that lower control arm should be level, plain and simple. If that is how it will be, we don't know but that is where it SHOULD be.

Put some all-thread in there and pull it down. I did this before and it really helped set it up.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote