Thread: 47-55.1 Tie rod questions
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2022, 07:53 PM   #41
dsraven

Re: Tie rod questions

last pic looks a lot better, less angle on the upper ball joint. some control arm manufacturers have the ball joint attachment part on an angle to the control arm for better ball joint angle I think.you would have to research that or simply modify the control arms you have.
so, the way it is set there, as the suspension goes up, the tire will lean out for a bit at the top until the control arm comes up past its center/level point then lean the tire in as the suspension goes up further. the lower control arm looks pretty level. if it is below the level point then it will also lean the tire out but at the bottom until the control arm hits it's level point, then the bortom of the tire will lean in as the suspension goes up. if you wanted to see how the angles will affect the tire leaning/rubbing the fender, you could do a cardboard mock up using the lengths and angles of the control arms as they will sit at ride height. that way you don't ruin a tire/fender/paint when you get it all together for the last time and go for the first road test. thats never a good time to find out. it is also a good idea to assemble the front end without springs and see if there is bump steer as the truck is jacked up or down with the tires sitting on the ground. do a toe in style check at several points as the truck is moved up and down. you can scratch a mark on the tire tread with a nail on a block as the tire is rotated, both sides, and use that as a reference to take dimensions from in front and behind the axle, so on the front of the tire and on the rear of the tire. they can be dangerous to drive if there is bump steer caused from improper IFS set up. also, check the tire diameter and wheel offset and compare the stock specs to what you plan to use as the final set up of your truck. if the offset or diameter changes too much from stock s10 specs then the steering is also affected. it is called scrub steer, king pin inclination or steering axis inclination. there is a bunch of info online regartding this and how it affects the steering effort and the vehicle wanting to follow every crack in the road.
on a MII cross member I was sold, that was packaged as the wrong year apparently, I had to modify it to fit the frame. I went with the lower control arm level and the upper control arm lower at the frame end by 4 deg. that way the tire was gonna always get further away from the fender as the tire went into the fender. when the suspension went down the tire had more clearance anyway so wasn't worried about that part. it was on air bags but not gonna be a "rockers on the road" style of air bagger, just a daily driver that was lowered and on air bags for the smoother ride.

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote