View Single Post
Old 06-02-2021, 08:45 PM   #7
Bkndsdl

Re: Bkndsdl's '67 short step - Jake

What I've done sofar:
  • Installed shoulder belts; it had lap belts only.
  • Removed the tool box and sold it.
  • Changed the clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, and flywheel. All were in sad shape.
  • Got the radio working; it's got a 10" subwoofer and a 200 watt amp!
  • Had a small leak in the radiator repaired.
  • Ordered a new heater core; PO broke the top tube trying to replace the hoses. While I had that apart I ordered new gaskets, fan, and resistor.
  • Rebuilt the carburetor multiple times, trying to cure a bog after acceleration. I've taken it apart and put it back together about 10 times.......still not working. I believe there is a vacuum issue as well....

On top of this, the engine is leaking water near the firewall side of the block, somewhere in between the intake runners. It leaks when standing still.......Also, when the radiator was repaired, they told me it was full of mud. I think it's leak stop, it's been flushed repeatedly and still comes out brown....AND, two of the three freeze plugs appear to have been replaced, and it looks like they didn't do it right because it looks like whatever they used to seal them wasn't right and melted out of the block. Lucky me!

This prompted me to start looking at replacement engines. I am not ready for a V8 yet; like I said, I want a dependable daily for right now. V8 will be later. So surfing the internet landed me a 250 and a 3 spd saginaw for $450. It's running and driving and has 84k original miles on it. It's from an
81 square, so it has HEI, but does not have smog. It's still in the truck, waiting for someone to purchase it. It'll be pulled next weekend, and I'll make a 6 hour round trip to go get it.
Dirty Dan - '80 Short Fleet
Bkndsdl is offline   Reply With Quote