Thread: 1968 C20 Build
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2019, 12:54 AM   #8
dagnabbitt

Re: 1968 C20 Build

Once I got the box on, the fact that the C20 had no bumpers really bugged me. Well, the rear had part of a bumper, I guess. But no problem, the black 67 GMC was the gift that just kept giving: I went to my parts pile that was created by the teardown. The bumpers weren't in great shape but they were free and I had decided that I was going to try to save my money on stuff I needed to make the truck roadworthy and safe.

The front bumper was badly bent due to the truck it was on being pulled behind a tractor most of its life, but some judicious bangs with a sledge straightened it out quite nicely.

Finally, I took them down to the metal and painted them white and installed them. The C20 is starting to look like a truck, now.

Then the grill was bothering me. Somehow this truck had managed to exist for 51 years without someone pulling the letters off the hood, but the red emblem was missing and the grill itself was kind of bent. I reluctantly - at first - pulled a piece of wall art out of my garage. It was a pretty nice 68 grill that I had got several years before, long before the C20. Initially I thought I was wasting the grill on this truck, but I didn't feel that way for long. It is definitely the nicest part of the truck, but why shouldn't it be?
Attached Images

1967 K20
1968 C20
1970 C10
1972 GMC 2500
1981 C10

Last edited by dagnabbitt; 11-08-2019 at 01:40 AM.
dagnabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote