View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 05:33 PM   #5
Davidf

Re: A/C Idle solenoid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Interesting, I didn't think of adjusting it this way. Though when the A/C off or not cycling at idle it seems you'd have a higher idle than you would want.

I am getting my new NOS solenoid to see if I can get it to work for the a/c... easy enough to test with jumpers before dorking with the OEM wiring.

Though I've read the solenoid isn't strong enough to push the idle up on its own. But testing will be fun regardless
If the solenoid is used as designed, it does not have to be strong enough to overcome the throttle return spring. It just has to be able to hold against it. when you start a cold engine, the choke holds the throttle open, so the solenoid is initially pushing against nothing. It is then engaged and will hold the idle after warm up. When the engine is warm/hot, the proper starting procedure is to apply part throttle before cranking. In doing so, you allow the solenoid to extend to its proper position. If you are used to starting a warm engine with no throttle applied, then the solenoid will not extend and you will not be able to start the engine. Alternatively, you can turn the ignition on, slightly depress and return throttle and then start the engine with no throttle applied.

If you don't want the high idle with a/c off, set idle the way you like it via the solenoid. When the compressor is engaged, idle speed will drop regardless. Or, you can wire the solenoid through a relay to engage with the a/c compressor. But, the idle will not increase unless you tap the throttle or the compressor engaged while the throttle was already depressed. Usually not a problem if using the stock compressor which does not cycle. But, if you were at idle (say at traffic light) and switched on the a/c then the idle will drop until you blip the throttle or move off. All this assuming the solenoid will not overcome the return spring.

Those are my thoughts anyway.

Last edited by Davidf; 03-23-2021 at 05:38 PM.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote