View Single Post
Old 12-18-2021, 12:18 PM   #2
BASE

Re: 1968 k10 new axles, steering box, lift kit recommendation?

I've got a pair of Offroad Design spings sitting in the garage but not in yet. I can't say if they are worth the $ yet or not. ORD does seem to have a pretty good understanding the 67-72 trucks though. The springs were drop shipped from ALCAN out of CO I think so they might be another source. I probably should add that these things appear to have about 8" more arch than the stock springs even though I asked for a 5" lift. They are supposed to be a lot more 'flexy' than most but others have reported their 4" lift being closer to 6" so might want to consider that.

Some things I've found that might trip you up:
-I had a couple of vendors tell me that my '68 K10 rear springs were a different length than they are, so definitely check that out before purchasing. Mine are 56" long btw, I can't recall now what I was told they should be (maybe 52?). Not sure if that was just bad info, or if they differ from LWB to SWB or something. They are also wider than the later model springs, about 3-1/2" at the shackles and tapering to normal width at the axles. Can be easily accommodated with wider bushings but it would suck to find that out when you are bolting them in.

-I've just finished totally rebuilding some 3/4T squarebody axles to put under mine. I didn't even catch that the spring mounts are a different width on the rear axle until pretty late in the game. I hadn't done my homework there. Easy enough to cut off the old ones and weld on new ones but again, it would suck to figure that out while trying to install it.

-I bought a later model power steering box. It's also 2WD version for crossover steering but that wouldn't have any affect on my frame not accommodating it without the adapter plate I got from captainfab here. Sounds like some frames on '68's have dimples, and some don't. Mine don't.

I got sidetracked building a new engine and haven't got any of this stuff installed yet, so no telling what else I missed, or may be wrong about there...
BASE is offline   Reply With Quote