Thread: Project Falcon
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #6
Billett

Re: Project Falcon

I like the idea of an I6, just not sure it's worth it... I looked into upgrading the 144 and it's just so expensive. Rebuild kit or aluminum upgrades would be way more expensive than even a 302 or LS. Hell if I was going to spend that much I'd go with a modular 4.6 or coyote. 300 "big block" I6 was in the running, but I just don't think I want to run carb'd and the EFI versions of those motors have huge intakes that would require some serious mods to the hood to fit in the engine bay.

I like carb'd engines, but not on a DD and if I'm going to make this thing a runner I don't want to have to worry about any of the normal carb problems. I want to be able to jump in and crank the key and have it come to life, no worrying about flooding, cold starts, hot starts, changing the tune depending on the weather and time of year... it's just not worth it anymore with as cheap as some of the EFI stuff is.

Definitely OD, but I haven't decided about auto or manual. I'd like one of my cars to be manual because it's just plain more fun, but again if this is going to be used regularly then I would probably be better off going automatic. That would help if I go LS because I can use the auto off of my C10 and swap a t56 in there, but the 4L80 is so damn heavy I don't like the idea of putting it in the Falcon since it's so light right now.

Gearing right now is 3.50 rears which is fine and would work with OD, but I'd like to swap out the entire rear if I'm upgrading the power. Maybe a cheap 8.8 posi from an exploder with rear discs.

Definitely front discs, but I haven't decided on front suspension yet. Those TCI kits are really nice, but soooo expensive. MII parts are pretty easy to find and a R&P setup and power steering and brakes would really change the street manners.

No idea yet about paint. I really like the idea of a gloss black with a flat gold hood and slight gold accents. Also thought about ideas as crazy as painting it to match the USAF Thunderbirds who fly F-16 falcons lol. I was going to go with white, but it would resemble the GMG falcon too much.

I'd like to keep the interior relatively stock looking, but at the same time, I want it to be comfortable. I've thought about trying to find a bench seat out of something newer that fits in there, but I think I'd rather just get the stock one redone with new foam and upholstery. Radio is a must. I like the idea of a retrosound, but of course I want the $400 one haha.

Chances are I'll stick with steelies for rims, or at least like you said stay traditional. I think TTIIs have there place and can look good, but I'm looking for something fairly plain. I think the steelies and trims rings on my truck really make the look. White walls are definitely in the running, and at the very least raised white lettering.

Keep the ideas coming though. I really like different perspectives and I try to look at them from all angles before deciding. For example, I really would like to stay I6, but the money is just not worth it for what I'm getting IMO. It is cheaper short run because I already have the engine and it's in the car, but a rebuild kit, aluminum head/headers/intake later and I could have a turbo 4.8 in there instead...
2002 Ford Excursion 7.3L
2024 Toyota Sienna
Billett is offline   Reply With Quote