View Single Post
Old 06-11-2009, 06:08 PM   #1
383Ram

Crossbred, 454 into an '85 Ram

Well, now that i fell comfortable here, i'll dispaly my project. Why am i doing this---well, because i can, it'll pI$$ some people off, and i have always wanted to tinker with other "cheaper" engines. So with that, the victim became our '85 Ram. Out came the second 360 that had let me down and a new beginning was had.

The goal for this build, brutal low and midrange torque, stay somewhat in a budget, and drive the wheels off the thing anywhere at anytime, and on 89 or cheaper octane.

Here is the truck as pictured last year, i dont plan to change anything here.

Back last Nov '08, i approched my machinest about building a Chevy motor for my truck. We decided at that time to do a 383 because of the price and big block stuff around here isnt cheap--usually. So with that, in went a 305 while i gathered parts. It fit like a glove after i made mounts and it all bolted in---even the headers went in from the top.

Mounts and isolators---all bolt in stuff, even used existing holes in the truck.

305 mocked up in truck, the fit is great!

Well, as most of my projects go, they snowball. I picked up a set of reconditioned peanut port big block heads for $40 when a guy switched to Edelbrocks. And then i thought and sought about looking for a motor to put them on. So fast foward to a couple weaks ago, i find a whole 454 from a early 70's truck, realativly cheap.

After some research, i find out it will simply bolt in place of the small block, same mounts, same isolators, no moving anything---how easy could this be---i wondered. After the engine was disassembled (another long story initself being it was locked up), everything was taken to work and degreased with out huge steam pressure washer, and other smaller parts were dunked for a day in our huge cleaning tank. Then, it was time to see if it fit.

Putting an engine in---even an empty block and heads like i did, is an act in fustration if your doing it by yourself like i did. But i managed to get it done. It fits, i slid the stock exhaust manifolds on and its tighter, but still good. Things i took note of, headers are going to be tight, the fan is going to have to be changed to a regular fan with a short spacer, or change everything to a short waterpump setup. It all just barely fits with a long pump but i do have some interference on the fan blade tips and radiator bottom tank. I want tall valve covers, but i am going to have to notch the drivers side for brake booster clearance also.

So this is where i am at now, im a little out of money at the moment, if i can unload the 383 stuff, i can continue on a bit.

I also at this point failed to mention, that the trans is a New Process 833 overdrive--3 speed with fourth being overdrive--found mostly in chrysler products, but some GM trucks from the early 80's have them too which is where mine came from. It has ratios very close to a 700r4, which are not really ideal, but a big block should have plenty of torque to pull through the wide spreads. I have a TH350 i could rebuild if i need too and also have the trans mount setup to run a regular style non overdrive 833 four speed--which is a chrysler trans, and i have an adapter plate to use on the GM bellhousing. So i have plenty of choices in the transmission department.

454/4 speed, '85 Dodge Ram hybrid build in progress

454, PP heads, Dual 500 CFM cabs, 'Vette manifolds. First time out---spinning for half track

Slooowww build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=348050

Engine build thread at: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326289

Last edited by 383Ram; 06-11-2009 at 06:10 PM.
383Ram is offline   Reply With Quote