Thread: Rear Sway Bar
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #40
capev86

Re: Rear Sway Bar

i got the CPP bars for my 72 burb 3/4 ton 2wd factory height. it did not have the factory front bar and installing that 1-1/4 bar (bigger than the stocker) really made a night and day difference when coming to corners (it is stable and predictable now). installing the complimentary 1-1/8 will balance it front to rear, help keep the trailing arm system more aligned (doing poly bushings on the trailing arms and track bar too) and really make a difference when i have a big heavy trailer hitched up. the burb has more weight up high in the back than a pickup and thus more body roll, but any rear bar is better than no rear bar in any vehicle. front bar needs to be stiffer (aka bigger) but closer in size is better.

i put 87-89 lesabre t type sway bars on my 89 lesabre 4 door limited. went from 1-1/16 to 1-1/4 on the front and 1/2 to 3/4 inch on the rear. even though the rear got a bigger percent increase, the car still had too much under steer. a 1 inch bar would have been much better but the factory prefers under steer because it is safer for average joe drivers (you don't spin around backwards). i put the rear bar on first and i liked the balance but it still handled better overall once the bigger front bar was in.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote