View Single Post
Old 06-11-2021, 07:31 PM   #10
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: After a number of years ... Finally finalized CB Radio and Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddylackn View Post
How do you split into two antennas? What adapter piece is required?

I have a Cobra 29 LTD and have the two CB antenna mounts of the C20 dumbo mirrors and want to run twin antennas.

Are you overhead mounting your CB or below the dash? I mounted mine below the dash, but it is a real knee knocker. I would like to see how to mount it overhead.
''Twin Sticks'' or ''Rabbit Ears'' have a co-ax loom that is factory spliced to have equal length lines going to each antenna. That way the gain is equal and standing wave ratio is balanced. The signal output pattern resembles a 'peanut' or Figure 8, with one equal lobe extending forward from the broadcasting vehicle and one behind it. Emissions from the sides are diminished.
Back-in-the-day, there were devices with a variable capacitor as a dial in the center -- to boost gain on one antenna, and decrease it on the other, so the signal pattern could be changed from the peanut to a cardiod, or omnidiretional. [A taller 1/4 wave whip has more omnidirectional gain though.]
I have not seen one for over 40 years. They were once commercially available. A Ham or electronics expert could rig the right parts, but the engineering is over my head.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote