View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 01:40 AM   #3031
Killer Bee

Re: My Facetruck thread.

howdy Larry! that carb I told you about that I replaced on the onan in the motorhome is an import.. cummins has a 900 piece national backorder, our local dealer cummins cal pacific had 107 ordered for down equipment and 80 for stock but no guarantee by end of the month when we're leaving.. AND the OE carb is $380 vs $45 for chinesium.. so they had me over a barrel and I put the import in to get it up and running.. the previous owner thought it was the fuel pump and had already bought one and a filter.. I found a damaged fuel hose so I went ahead and replaced both those along with all new hose and clamps.. fires up and takes the load like a champ.. about $55 parts on me and an hour each..

so just to finally diagnose the failure, I brought the original carb to work with me to see what the trouble was.. as you suggested, it was ethanol gunk! but not holding the float down or sticking the needle n seat shut, it was the fuel stop plunger, it's definitely the lowest point.. quick cleaning and reassembly for a test and voila!

so I'm soaking everything for a good internal cleaning and planning to put it back together and reinstall.. I'll drain and clean the import and hang onto it for a backup.. I'll make some extra paper gaskets for the mounting flanges for my spare kit.. and I have some aluminum and copper seal washers in my toolbox but I'll probably pick up a couple of each of those just in case

wonder how many $400 / $50 carbs are sold to motorhome owners with that same problem?