View Single Post
Old 01-11-2024, 06:34 PM   #8
Robert Crandall

Re: Speedometer Gear Question

Thank you very much for your help. The calculator that you showed gives the same answers as the Moveras one that I found. My tire does measure 28 inches diameter unloaded. However, it measures 13 inches from the center of the wheel to the floor. I'm not sure how to account for that in a calculation.

Do you have a recommendation for me to check which speedometer gears are compatible with my 8 tooth drive gear?

I converted my 1950 GMC to a Saginaw straight 3-speed with a 3.08 differential around 1978. That transmission was originally paired with a 4.10 differential. I left the original drive gear and speedometer gear in place. I soon learned that my speedometer was around 15 mph off. I have been happy with that for more than 40 years.

This new transmission is apart on my bench. All is new or good inside, but the speedometer gear does not look as good. I look into replacing it while I have the transmission working, so while I am at it, I look to maybe change it to a gear that will more closely match the 3.73 that I also plan to install.
Robert Crandall is offline   Reply With Quote