View Single Post
Old 06-12-2022, 11:02 PM   #12
TX3100Guy

Re: Assistance needed - where do these go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauXGT View Post
It is an ecapsulant. It stops oxygen from reaching the metal to continue the rust. Just remove the loose rust, and I wipe down with 'Prep-all' and brush on. It takes several hours to cure so the brush marks flow level. Brushes I use are throw aways being it's a PITA to clean them.
It doesn't have much flex, so it's more suited for fairly rigid parts like frames etc....
I know this from using it on leaf springs years ago. A couple of months after application (on a fair weather vehicle) it started flaking off. It is an oil based product, so it helps getting into the cracks and layers of metals, if gravity is there. It is very durable. I would rather try to use this on non-shiny finish sides than take the rust down to the metal. You start to lose the integrity of the substraight if ground down.
I was using the last of the can...about 1.5+ pints. It is a bit pricey so if you think you need a couple of pints, up it for a cheaper price. Be sure only pour out what you'll use. Don't dump back the unused. It is contaminated. And get a couple of mason jars of different sizes. The smaller the oxygen space in the jar with the POR will make it last longer. I barely finished this with the remainder of a jar, but also had some dried product with quite a bit of air space in the jar after the last use. Reduce the jar size to product left. Make sure you wipe the lid and cap before resealing.
My original plan was to spray bed liner on the back sides of the four fenders give some light surface rust. I'm a bit turned off by the mess that spraying bed liner would cause and have been searching for a solution.

I was vaguely familiar with POR-15 having had a Jeep and hearing about guys coating their frames with that product, but as I mentioned I've never used it.

I like the idea of a rust prevention product that keeps any further rust from appearing. While the paint on my fenders needs a good cutting and buffing, I wanted to protect the underside of them too. This looks and sounds like a great solution. For the backside of the four fenders how much product did you actually end up using, just the 1 1/2 pints?? Was that for one or two coats?

Thanks again.

My 1953 Chevy Work-In-Process Photo Gallery

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."
TX3100Guy is offline   Reply With Quote