View Single Post
Old 09-30-2021, 04:28 PM   #14
Duck1

Re: 4.8 bored to 5.7 piston size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
I have decided to put the 383 in my truck back into my Camaro eventually here. So it needs to be replaced, and I have decided on a 327 style engine. This is do to the way I like to drive, and my resultant 4.88 gears.

Does boring a 4.8 or 5.3 to 5.7 bore size excessively reduce life span of the engine? Or if done right no out of normal problems will likely pop up? Hp goals are 400-425hp range. My goal is more endurance then all out power type of concept.

According to my gear ratio calculator my rpm at 75 will be between 2500, and 2800 rpm. Depending on convertor style I choose rather lock up or non lock up, and trans option I go for. To be honest I almost went with 3.73 gears, and a th400 in my truck. Instead of using a smaller motor, and overdrive. I love the sound of a small block at 3000 rpm. So I commited to a work around instead

I had a 4.8 with a LS6 cam in a 07 GMC rcsb with 4.56 gears, and I would like to recreate it with a little more pull. My truck is lighter so I am hoping it works out as well as I remembered. The 07 was a pig at 4800, and I am hoping I could get my 83 step to a good bit under 4000 with fiberglass. I need to weigh it, but I have been the lazy.

If I get a 4.8, and a 4L80 combo. Does it matter if it is from a 2500 van, or if I piece it togather. Meaning besides the wiring harness, and tuning. Does it give fits or headaches I should be aware of?
save your money a buy a 6.0. better yet. If not add the price of the new 5.7 pistons, machine shop work. Pay me that for my 6.0 and leave your 4.8)5.3 as a core.👍😉
Duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote