View Single Post
Old 07-17-2021, 07:42 AM   #101
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Timing & Gas Milage

Today I decided to dive back into my distributor after getting settled with I had done back earlier in the year. While I had hoped to be running with my rebuilt carb, that was a bust. Though my general MPG is 13~14 MPG on long trips with the one my brother rebuilt last year and my timing setup.

I am still at 12° Initial timing and not long ago when I punted my truck to the shop to try and get that rebuilt carb going, she came back to me set at around 4~6° Initial timing. Not sure why they did that but she drove like the crap. 12° seems to be my happy place.

That gets me to what I been thinking about changing, the distributor springs. I have been running Silver/Copper since day one of my new distributor. What I noticed is when I reach 1.5k my engine wakes up, like a 1/3 of the HP came online - it's like a surge of power. So I decided to change out the silver spring out to have Copper/Copper springs. This brings in more timing and then maxes out at 20k.

Well, that 1.5k surge is completely gone, I can no longer feel anything remotely like a transition of engine power kicking in. I have more pep and my power is smooth as silk throughout my RPMs. After a test drive around the neighborhood and getting on the interstate, where I punched it while getting on the HWY, it's just all around fabulous. I couldn't find anywhere I lost anything, only gained better performance and a better feeling ride.

I might try Silver / Silver at some point but I couldn't image I'd be happier with that setup.
Attached Images

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote