View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM   #19
gdavis

Re: Power Disc brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
I decided that I wanted to upgrade the brakes to Power Front Disk so I gathered the parts I needed and went to work.
It is a Hybrid retrofit between 71 and 72 parts.
I picked up some new 71' ball joints.
It turns out the spindles were donated from a 71' "Camper Special" so they are heavy half.
I also picked up 71' Steering linkages.
Im still using my 68 front cross member so I cut off the brake hose mounts and will move them to the front of the cross member when I get around to it.
I used a 72' Stainless steel brake line kit and because of that I will be replacing the frame brace behind the rear axle with a 72' version, because I dont have the tools I need to make a hexagon shaped hole and the metal shop wants $45 to make one for me so its just as cheap to replace it entirely.
I have a 1971 rear axle and the factory T-fitting mount is in the wrong place so I fabricated a bracket to attach to the rear axle housing cover like factory and installed a 71' rear hose.
I probably should have used a 72' hose but I didnt think it would make that much of a difference so I didnt worry about it.
I still have a little more work to do to button it up.

Front brake lines installed.

Rear brake lines installed.

Unfortunately the rear suspension cross member and corresponding frame mount locations are completely rotted out so both will need to be replaced soon which is why it is left unpainted.
I will also be refurbishing the rear axle while that work is being completed.
Thanks for looking.
That is the same place my frame was trashed. I bought a 1967 frame in perfit shape for 50.00 so I gave the other frame to the salvage
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote