Thread: TA_C10: Stage 1
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2019, 08:42 PM   #56
TA_C10

Re: TA_C10: Stage 1

Rocker Panel Repair - Driver Side

The outer rockers were replacement panels the previous owner used to cover up the rotted floors with sheet metal screws PO's suck sometimes... I knew they would need some work because the drivers side was starting to rust pretty good in one spot but not too badly. So I decided to just repair them myself instead of buying new ones.

Well everyone says these aftermarket pieces don't fit very well and boy are they right. It's almost deceiving at first glance, didn't notice how bad they were. Here is a look at the fitment of the rocker, and the rust spot to repair.

My plan is to use my body saw and put a thin slice at the top of the rocker at the same time I cut out the bad spot to replace. The slice at the top will allow me to open up the metal at the top to get it to fit in the corner better.

Now I will do the same with the next corner.

Now I moved on to the hole I cut out to patch. This took a while. I cut the patch larger on the sides because I knew I was going to have hammer and shape the piece to have the same contour of the slopes it has in that location. Turned out pretty good I thought. And you can also see how much tighter each of the corners fit at the top, nice and snug. Now the rocker is ready for install when I get the cab mounted properly or back on the frame and can hang the door to get the gaps correct.

"It's only money".
TA_C10 is offline   Reply With Quote