View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 12:42 AM   #19
Ackattack

Re: Ackattack's Pro touring restoration thread

Well after calling several places and getting quoted $300+ for sandblasting the frame I decided to sandblast it myself. I bought a 40lb pressurized sanblaster from harbor freight to do the job. I also got some tarps, and wood to build an enclosure around the frame to help contain the sand.

I'm using some sand (silicate somethingorother). It was $6.xx /100lbs at home depot. I also got a filtered resperator, a hood, and ear muffs.

So this morning I tore down to the bare frame.

And then built a frame around it. I then attached tarps all the way around and over the top. I then installed a flourscent light. I cut a hole in the tarp for the shop vac to maintain a negative pressure while I'm blasting so the air that is going in (from the compressor) doesn't just blow all the sand out through the seams. I also duct taped all of the seams.

So tonight I got to work blasting. In 45 minutes I did 2/3 of the top of the frame and a little on the inside before i ran out of sand (only got one bag).

So hopefully the whole thing will take ~6 hrs to complete.

I thought about taking to the sandblasters but by doing it myself I save a little money, get sandblasting equipment!, and I was able to remove the front and rear suspension to get a more complete job.

Probably won't get much more done this weekend....got 2 days of drag racing to attend to
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote