View Single Post
Old 06-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #40
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Somehow missed this thread. Will ad my .02. everyone has covered the "before" documentation. I would like to say the "during documentation" is just as important.

This is primarily directed at the guys that modify their trucks (sorry CPNE). Examples of this are for brake swaps, suspension mods, ANY electrical change. If you added on disc brakes it would be a wise idea to document every changed component for future referance when you or the next owner needs to replace something.

Go ballistic with it too. Document part name, part#, year make and model of donor vehicle. If aftermarket: vendor name, vendor part#. On my wiring changes, I have printed out the wiring diagrams and penned in the deletions, additions and modifications. Try to keep the data on the component mod all-encompassing. There's an amazing amount of do-dads ya gotta keep track of. Like on fans: temp switches, wire gauges, fuse locations, relays...

Keep all of this along with the manufacturers literature in an indexed 3 ring binder and keep it beside your shop manual. As a fail-safe (k so I'm anal about some things) I have written in the preface of each chapter of my shop manual a brief reminder of what has been modded.

Have yet to do a frame off. Mine has been a running daily driver since 3 months after I bought it. Been 2+ years now and it is almost, well allmost allmost done.