View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 08:11 PM   #7
1978sierra

Re: Help me with these 7 project tasks

Ok Guys,

Thanks for the help!

Here's a little background of what I've found / done so far.

Truck was running really rough in the cold, then one day after being parked outside in -3 wouldn't start. I figured I flooded it, but after some searching on this site I discovered it was my distributor. I pulled off the cap and cleaned it up and it fired right up. It's also running much better now.

I had a garage replace my oil pan gasket as it totally blew out and I just didn't have the time. Unfortunately it now has to go back to them as I am getting oozing oil at a few points on the new seal - Luckily they guarantee their work. The one thing I did find strange was that they said they had to use a longer bolt to install the new Fel-pro 1 piece gasket, but I didn't see that info anywhere on the Fel-pro site.

I looked into the temp sending unit, to my surprise (or not) there was no wire attached to the sending unit at all. I searched around and found a wire tied up to vac line by the distributor. I grounded that wire and it quickly made my gauge pin- So i hooked it up and........ nothing. So I'll go get a new sender today. I have included a pic of the wire and the sender for reference. I wonder why it would be detached and tied away like that. I also wonder how to fix the wire as it appears to be in poor condition. Besides giving me a temp reading the sender doesn't do anything correct?

My fasten belts light has miraculously just stopped working. So that's a bonus.

Only other thing someone might help me with. During heavy rainfall I get water coming through the firewall at the heater and pooling up on the floor. I don't want to put the floor back in until I can fix it. I'm just trying to figure out how it gets there in the first place and also how I can get to the leak area to seal it.

Thanks again for all your help guys!

Cheers,
Attached Images

1978sierra is offline   Reply With Quote