View Single Post
Old 12-09-2015, 08:45 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

Re: Help me with these 7 project tasks

Just my $.02 - brakes are not a job to do as a learning experience. If you have an experienced person working with you, then it may be a DIY task.

First step, take your truck to two different brake shops for a free brake check. Once you know what is wrong you can go online to Rock Auto and find out what the parts will cost. You might even be able to buy OEM AC Delco parts for cheap. If you need wheel cylinders, make sure that they are AC Delco. If your wheel cylinders leak in the future, you will lose your drums and shoes with brake fluid contamination. This has happened to me twice.

If you do decide to do the brakes yourself, take your truck to a brake shop when you are done and have them give you a free estimate. Tell them you just bought the truck and the previous owner said he had the brakes done, and you want to make sure they were done correctly. That way, if you made any mistakes, the brake shop can fix it without charging you for new parts, just labor to fix your error.

Since your truck is a 3/4 ton, you will likely have a floating rear axle and this will require more work than a 1/2 ton to replace the rear brakes.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote