View Single Post
Old 09-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #302
Paul Y

Re: The English are coming! Or..another C10 in the Motherland.

I didn't get as much time in the garage as I wanted today as #4 child is off to Uni next week which meant spending money on...things... you know fairy lights, a wall covering, pink ferns. The important stuff.

Once that task was completed and I had put her and #1 son on the train to go to London to see #2 son -its his birthday on Tuesday - I finally had 2 hours in the garage before having a date night with the wonderful Lady P, I am currently writing this whilst she is getting ready so an easy hour or so left....

Plan today was.

1. Wire up the engine and make sure that everything worked

2. Make sure it cranked over

3. Test the fuel lines.

4. Vroom Vroom.

This is what I started with.

Long time listeners will know that I HATE WIRING so after 30 minutes spreading everything out across the drive to make sure I had a little idea of what went where I proceeded to plug everything in.

Actually quite easy once you get your head around it.

The wiring harness is definitely not a thing of beauty.

Once that was all in place I bolted the various electric bits to a board just to stop it all getting caught up in the flex plate and exhausts.

Get me. I even made a switch to turn the ECU...

Fact Tree....

I had previously bought myself a Lone Wolf 3000 to make the cranking easier. Purchased from my local motor factor the guy serving me said it had been there since he had started working there, I would guess that would be at least 20 years old then....

There will now be a lack of pictures as I spent the next 90 minutes trying to work out why, when I switched this ON...

...Nothing happened.

(In case anybody is using this as reference the wire connected to this is the switched live. - you must be really desperate but you never know...)

Tested across the fuse box, scratched my head and finally sat on the milk crate of contemplation to seek cosmic guidance.

Which is when I noticed that the other side of the switch was not connected to power.....

Mmmmm....

Anyway, quick connection made and now when you push the throttle pedal, this happens.

Great Success!

Rapidly running out of time I threw 4 gallons of Shell finest super unleaded in the tank, connected the pump to a separate battery and it all wired into life.

Rapidly followed by me pulling wires off the battery as I was showered by fuel from the regulator.

It is absolutely weeing it out of the join between the top and bottom. Quick internet search shows this is quite common so take it apart, clean it out and out it back together. Still made me jump!

Skinny I will let you know wha the results of tomorrows Post Mortem are so you don't get the 4 star shower.

Good news is, in the few seconds that the pump was building pressure my pipes didn't leak.

Tick another thing half of the list then Paul.

Not much time left so hooked up the Lone Wolf 3000 to the starter as I wanted to get the engine to turn over so, tomorrow, I can fix he regulator, put the plugs in and see if it will go Vroom Vroom.

But... no starter motor action.

Tested the Lone Wolf 3000. That works.

Have 13V to the starter.

Ok

But no spinny spinny.

Does anybody know if I need the switched live to be connected to a..live?

Seems a bit odd that it wouldn't turn over but hopefully it is something simple - if you know let me know.

So, with a modicum of success I bid you goodnight as Lady P is standing behind me indicating that she requires a G & T before dinner.

Onwards!!

P.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=658621

If it goes wrong, I blame the Internet...

Last edited by Paul Y; 09-04-2021 at 02:46 PM.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote