View Single Post
Old 01-30-2024, 02:37 PM   #11
MikeB

Re: Exhaust band clamps, general (fitment) question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry moss View Post
exhaust tubing is always measured O.D. the muffler neck is measured I.D.
Yes, that's what we said above.

The muffler pipe is meant to slide over a 2.5" OD pipe. There may be some kind of standard for its OD, but its ID is the critical dimension, whereas OD is a function of wall thickness. In this case that's .079". I'd bet some muffler pipes have thinner wall thickness (.0625"?), which would have made for easier clamp installation.

To the OP: I have leaned to torque the heck out of the clamp bolts, or you will see some condensation drip out. Also, those clamps will be easier to reinstall once they take the shape of the pipes.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote