Thread: Truck Weight
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Coley

Smile Re: Truck Weight

Interesting.....is your truck a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton?
Its a little deceiving for sure and what makes it tough to call is almost every truck is a different weight on a truck by truck basis. The base weight they list in the GM brochures etc (something in the 3600lb range? or?) is for a base model 1/2 ton with a base model engine (6cyl) with no options. Of course the weight starts to climp up from there w/ a V-8, ps/pb, deluxe trim...and a/c and an 8' bed, etc you are quickly tickling 4000lbs+
I've had a few 1/2 long beds w/ 350's and a good option group.
What I've found is the trucks w/ me in them tend to range from 4100lbs to 4400lbs empty.
I've even tried this weight check by making sure the spare tire isn't in the truck (LOL) and keeping track of how much gas is in them. They've never been under 4000lbs....and that is a pretty heavy vehicle to start with relatively speaking.
Another thing I found was that the 1/2 ton that I had with the leaf springs vs. the trailing arms was a little less weight....which makes sense. It also made the true payload capacity of the leaf spring truck higher by a combination of less truck weight and more ability to carry weight.
My two bits.
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote