View Single Post
Old 07-24-2021, 10:45 PM   #12
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Slot mags vs pyo's

3/4 ton suspension is less then 5 pounds heavier per side on the a-arms, and another pound or 2 for the cross shaft. Rims/tires not included, and selection does matter to round out a complete package. But alot of increased durability, and slightly larger disks. Of you need or want it obviously.

The 14 bolt SF is 20 maybe 30 pound heavier then a built 9", and overall still stronger. With out brakes. The only downside is C-clips, and no way to get rid of them I am aware of. Plus larger drums factory, and it can be a nice package.

The drop out 3rd member of a 9" is nice, but really it is overkill. With today's overdrive electronically controlled transmissions. I can gear it for a nice compromise of DD, and acceleration. Then the converter can bring the package home. With no pulling a 3rd member in a dash to get going.

I could get 8 lug axles for the 9", and ford 8.8. If I felt the weight advantage was worth it, but still durability goes to the 14sf. Plus I can still upgrade it decently with a locker, and better axles.

One of my visions for this truck was to make a surf, and sand muscle truck. If you watch Roadkill. They took the muscle truck to Glamis with bloggers, and hacked the fenders. But I would build one that won't get you pulled over all the time, and is actually still daily drivable. Which is why I gravitated to the C20 suspension swap.

Well today as I was routing my fuel lines, and installing my fuel cell. I realized I could get a pair of 33/12.50r15 tires for the rear, and leave the 30x9.5's up front. As a sort of compromise. It's just the truck 12 bolt has a weaker pinion then the car 12 bolt, and I don't want to spend.money then break it. Where now it is worth a few bucks to people who want a upgrade.

I intend to run rally cross events with the truck once I sort out the suspension. Even if there is no class I for into. A couple of local groups have a unlimited class for what ever people have. Since I plan to do it for fun anyways no trophy no care. Along with a cousin who has a ton of desert property. I can beat it like it owes me money.

Although a nice 4/6 drop would be sweet too. Probably just have to get another truck.

Right now I am spit balling ideas, and trying to gather info I do not have.

I tow maybe once a month close to home, and a time or two around a 80 miles.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote