View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #43
Driver_WT

Re: 51 Chev on a S10 frame, named Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest67 View Post
Well, the project just became more expensive, and it's my own fault.

I purchased a SBC with vortec heads from a guy last year, he said the motor ran well, but he is getting a Big Block for his El Camino. I went to his place, saw his car, and his Dad's El Camino parked beside his, and I agreed to buy the motor.

So, now, a year later, my friend tells me to open up the motor, and we will have a look inside and reseal it.........guess what???? bad news.

I know, I know, I should have taken a head off before I bought it, but I wanted to believe this guy and I really wanted this motor,

So, now I am in the process of disassembling the lower end, to see if it is any good, and I will be looking for some heads......or maybe a complete motor if the block is cracked too........

Please don't beat me up too bad, I have been kicking myself since Saturday and I am not over it yet...........

Ahhhhh.......... "Serenity Now"
I pulled my SBC engine apart a few months ago and found that water had laid in the two rear cylinders at some point in time. Hopefully boring out by 30 thou will take care of the rust. Vortec heads looked good though.

Lots of surprises on these projects (and most of them don't result in cash savings LOL)