View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #15
ChevyTech

Re: Using an electronic speedo with TBI and 700R4?

Quote:
I guess I will look at the junkyard for one of these drac modules.
On C/K trucks:
Look in the center of the dash, just to the left of the glove box door, Just below the equalizer for the radio (if it has one) or just below the cubby hole if no equalizer. It is mounted very close to the inside surface of the dash.

On G vans;
The DRAC is located by the parking brake mechanism.

Open the DRAC and look inside to see if it has one set of jumper or two sets of jumpers. I think it was 1994 when the DRAC module started having two sets of jumpers inside them. You are using an instrument panel that was built when one set of jumpers was used in the DRAC, so find a DRAC with one set of jumpers (7 jumpers in a row)

Quote:
So, how are the guys connecting directly to the PCMs on their ls swaps to make this type of speedo work? Do the newer pcms have a built signal converter?
Keep in mind the year of equipment you are using makes a big difference.
If you had a 1989 instrument panal the DRAC would be built into the dash.
Mid 1990 - 1993? The DRAC had one set (7jumpers) and then two set of jumper (two sets of 7 jumpers for a total of 14) was used starting in 1994. Later on (I can’t remember what year) the DRAC was incorporated into the PCM.

If someone tells you what you need or what you should do without know the exact model year of all your parts you better question the quality of the advice they are giving.

WARNING:
Jumpers are numbered right to left in Gm information and some sites are confusing in regard to which jumper is which on the chart.
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote