View Single Post
Old 03-15-2009, 11:16 AM   #34
shrunken66stroker

Re: Shrunken66Stroker's build thread.

I bought a new fender on ebay and when I got it home and took the made in China sticker off I realize it was a piece of $#!t. I decided to cut it up and patch the old one instead of using it. There were all kinds of problems with the way the repopped fender fit. The holes on top didn't line up, it was too long, it made the door gap too tight and the seam in front was way off. I would have had to cut it apart anyway so I just patched the old one and now it fits like it use to. I rest easier knowing that it's an original part. The bottom of the original was rusted out and the support behind it was rusted too. I cut both of them out and welded in the new brace and patch.

I actually used this fender to practice welding sheet metal a few years ago. I wish I hadn't done that but at that time I thought I was going to throw it in the trash after I was done with the build. I made about 5 cuts with a cutting wheel and welded them up. At that time I didn't know how to weld so it was a complete warped mess. Lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimE View Post
Maybe I missed it, but what did you have to do to that fender?
Attached Images

Last edited by shrunken66stroker; 03-15-2009 at 11:40 AM.
shrunken66stroker is offline   Reply With Quote