Thread: pdx-sanity66
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #205
Bomp

Re: pdx-sanity66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I agree, it is a good deal. I haven't really priced the crushed glass that I'm using in my blaster but that seems like a good deal too, and I like the way it works. The weather was nice today so I threw down a tarp and wheeled Sanity's body onto the tarp for blasting a few areas on her belly can't be gotten to easily and a couple of places where there's some surface rust. The blaster and the media work great but my sad little air compressor is finally dying and this will be the end of it. I bought it when I was on a tighter budget several years ago and it has served me well but barely adequately all this time. It's just a Craftsman 5 hp oiless pump with a 40 gal tank. In a way I haven't minded having to stop whatever I've been doing occasionally to let the pressure build back up because I usually need a rest by then anyway, but I have just worked it to death. I overhauled the pump last year but it is starting to act like it did before and I just want something that will handle what I need and want to do.
So I don't have thousands to spend but I'd like to get some opinions from anybody that actually looks at this thread as what compressor out there should I consider.
These two bad boys are what I have in my arsenal:
Features:
23-Gallon
Full cast iron pump
Splash Oil lubrication
Cast iron head
Full metal belt guard
Low noise operation
Runs effectively from a clean 20 AMP service
Low pump RPM delivers exremely long pump life
Delivers 7 CFM at 90 PSI
Runs impact tools, nail & staple guns, spray guns & most other air tools.
May not be suitable for use with high consumption air tools like grinders, some sanders and sand blasters.
Check the air requirement of your air tools.

I have used this little guy to sand blast in the past. You do need to wait on it from time to time but it re-coops pretty fast. And its portable.

Belaire 318VLE 80 Gallon 175 PSI Vertical Electric Elite Air
$2,200 online( I got mine for $1600 from Salem Tool about 8 yrs ago)
Tank Start-Stop Pressure Switch Control, ASME Safety Valves Fully-Enclosed Belt Guard, Tank Drain and Discharge Valve 80 Vertical Tank 208-230/1 V/Ph. 32.5 cfm displ. 22.3 cfm/100 psi Mag. Starter: Included Recommended Dryer: HT25 39 x 24 x 77in

This is my monster. I can run my pressure pot at 80 psi, compressor kicks on,still blasting, fills up to 175psi,still blasting, shuts its self off,still blasting, I never have a drop in pressure and keep on blasting.
The bad. Not portable and makes little children cry.

Years back I had a 60 gal IngersolRand. Great compressor. Like the ones at Lowes or HomeDepot but they are Loud.
The little 23 gal shown has the same cfm as the 60 gallon compressors at Lowes or HD. It is bearable to have it run in the same area you are in.
I've also seen the ones at HFT but haven't done any research on them.

Good Luck
Bomp is offline   Reply With Quote