View Single Post
Old 11-05-2022, 11:43 AM   #11
Powered

Re: A '66 Stepside SWB Transformation, Maybe?

Finally getting a break from work to respond/supplement the thread. As for the steering, if I understand Mr. Carpenter's explanation, bottom line is the square body steering shaft components within the column won't transplant into my '66 column. So if I want a collapsible intermediate shaft, I'll have to locate a column from a later, 69-72 truck which may prove to be difficult and/or expensive. Well, what about this and its only a question because I don't know if its feasible but, can I cut the '66 steering shaft short, like real close to the bottom of the column and adapt (by welding or bolting) a way to connect a collapsible intermediate shaft to my '66 steering shaft at the bottom of the column and then, to the steering box at the other end with the existing rag joint? I could harvest the column out of the square body and use the intermediate shaft and the connector at the bottom of that column which I could attach to my shortened '66 steering column shaft. Has anyone looked into this or done it on their truck? While I wait for feedback, I'm gonna add the steering column to my list of things to harvest off the square body. Therefore, here's a list of steering components to harvest:

Steering box with pitman arm
Steering column
Intermediate steering shaft
Rag joint
Idler arm
Center link
Tie rod end and sleeve assemblies for both sides
All bolts and hardware particularly bolts for the steering box and idler arm

I can remove the front springs when I take the spindles off so are the square body springs usable or desirable for the '66? Should I retain them? I'm thinking that if I ever decide to lower it and purchase drop spindles, which springs would be a better fit? Do the square body springs even fit in the '66 front suspension? I guess that's the first question to be answered.
Powered is offline   Reply With Quote