View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 02:16 AM   #17
rechinca

Re: 71 C10 LB: Code Name Sloth

Been a bit so time for updates. Winter rains and new job kept me
Away for a while. Now I spent about 5 - 6 solid hours wrestling with it today. The frost thing I accomplished was setting the engine back on the perches. I had taken the bolts out to Access the engine mount pad bolts so I could run the plugs wires as the factory did. What a fricking nightmare to reinstall when you are working on a heavily sloped driveway! I’ll get pics of the plug wires and routing tomorrow.

Add to that was a couple of hours wrestling with installing the exhaust manifolds. Someone installed a really poorly made Y-pipe that had bad angles and improper bends. That meant a cutting wheel to extricate the exhaust pipes a bit and using some brute strength and pipe in the hitch to make the bends a little mor true.

Now what I do have pics for: I took apart the clutch bell crank or z-bar. I removed the clutch upper rod and lower pushrod first. I was prepared for some old cotter pins. Nope! What I found were wire staples used to install fence slat boards holding the swivel and rods in place! What in the name of horse crap are people thinking?!
[ATTACH]1897455[/ATTACH

The rest of the assorted parts were just worn. Both felt washers that help seal dust and debris out of the tube of the bell crank were toast and the engine block bracket ball was worn with half of the o-ring missing. I cleaned it all up, degreased and hit them with the wire wheel on my bench grinder. The bell-crank and engine bracket will get sprayed clear and the bell crank will get all new seals, nylon washers, etc. The upper clutch rod will need the ends welded to build them up. They have some significant wear and I’m not finding any better replacements.
Attached Images