View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #96
rechinca

Re: 71 C10 LB: Code Name Sloth

I posted some stuff on the main thread page due to issues with braking system. In short, this truck had a piss poor PB conversion with a cheap bracket and the rod from the booster to the Vesak was cut and welded to another rod at an angle. I wanted to put it back as close to factory correct as possible with the correct bracket and booster/MC set up. Put in the first reman’d booster and pedal was barely off the floor. A lot of folks posted in the past of similar issue with no resolve. It was so far out of adjustment, you could not get enough out of the adjustment at the pedal.

After 2-3 weeks of parts swapping (3 of 4 boosters that were reman units from NAPA were all wrong) and some investigation, I found the rods put in the BACK of the booster to the swing arm were wrong. About 1 3/8” too short! I only figured that out when I started looking at threads with pictures of brackets and boosters. Once I got that resolved, my pedal is at “normal” height off the floor. If you look at the pics, you will see how much of a difference there was in the rod. Shout out to the page outintheshop.com, he had the measurements on how long the rod should be with excellent pics and measurement documentation of units he has removed from trucks.

I did have some issue bleeding initially, but it was a dry system facing uphill on the driveway. I finally just cracked the rear bleeders and used 35 psi on the compressor to force the fluid down. Left the bleeders cracked a bit and got them bleed good. Also added Russell Speed Bleeders to help out down the road.
Attached Images