View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 12:17 PM   #3
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Ha - Is this the electrical I have to look forward to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Skier View Post
1 & 2 - look like starter. Some starters will have two wires. Tape up the one you don't use.

3 - Looks like HEI distributor connector

4 - I would guess A/C but I've never looked at A/C truck wiring

5 - Could be for electric choke. Looks similar to my 80's choke setup

6 - Temp gauge

7 - Fuel gauge?

8 - Brake valve

9 - unsure what the connector is for

----------------------------

If you have a multimeter then set it to ohms on each auto or the lowest setting. You need to probe each end of the wire. Put one probe in at the main connector and the other at the other end of the wire.

It should read as less than 5 ohms, anything more indicates an issue.

You can do something similar with a test light by hooking up one end of the wire to the positive battery terminal, connecting the negative clip of the test light to the negative battery then probing the wire.

The downside is that test lights don't draw enough power to tell you if the wire will hold up to the rated current. A multimeter gives you a better indicator by telling you how much resistance is on the wire. More resistance means more your distributor, starter and AC compressor are getting less power than they should.

Besides doing a test fit there isn't anything more you need to test.
Thanks a bunch for all that & clear tips too. Some guy was telling me you can test with a 9 volt, I suppose you could but the multimeter will be great, thank you.

1 & 2 - Yep, starter,. I have the impression starters for HEI are one wire. So much for "custom" made

3 - Looks like HEI distributor connector I think so too and it would fit.

4 - I would guess A/C but I've never looked at A/C truck wiring. It probably is A/C. However the compressor takes a black flat plug for two prong with a ground terminal & dark greenish wire. Theirs is a single prong in pink or some BS Beyond that what's throwing me is the original A/C harness came through the firewall. My guess is they simplified the wiring and might be easier.

5 - Could be for electric choke. Looks similar to my 80's choke setup. I have the original mechanical choke.

6 - Temp gauge Interesting. If so that was their provision for the sender on the wrong head. Two wires on that connector, perhaps the single wire plugs into #9. If so that should work well. What are the odds their clips such as for valve cover are in the right place I'll probably pull them anyway, prefer black, the Caldwell blackening & sealant is nice for what worth.

7 - Fuel gauge? Heck I don't know. I had the same wire on the old harness that was plugged into the TCS configuration. Fuel gauge runs to the sender.

8 - Brake valve Yep

9 - unsure what the connector is for See 6
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote