View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #9
theastronaut

Re: 1966 F100 Short/Fleen Full Stock Resto Build Thread

Got the cab and doors back from the blaster. There was more rust-thru than expected, and the passenger side door has some wrinkles right through the upper body line. I stripped out the seam sealer (it was too soft for the blaster to remove) and will be picking up a couple quarts of Ospho so it can sit in bare metal without flash rusting while we do the metalwork. All the metalwork and dent repair will be done before priming with epoxy. We will also re-blast the seams to fully clean them out before we shoot epoxy on it. I picked up a gallon of PPG DP74LF epoxy that is the same color as red oxide, which I believe was the original primer color.

The next step will be to repair the rust and fit the doors to the door openings. The bodylines will be matched up, the gaps will be evened out by welding 1/8" welding rods to the edges and grinding the gap even, and the doors will be reshaped to fit flush with the cab and fender. I make a feeler gauge the size that the gaps will be and grind the welding rod to fit the feeler gauge.

theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote