View Single Post
Old 11-25-2018, 07:31 PM   #16
Average Joe

Re: The 'Burban Chronicles.....

My next project on the 'Burb would be a rebuild on the rear suspension as well as upgrading to air bags. I had also acquired a 1970 rear end with 3.07 gears. It was in very good shape whereas my axles were shot. I had previously replaced the axle seals and bearings but they were leaking again. I later learned of some sort of sleave and a bearing with a slightly bigger I.D. to accommodate the sleeve, but I wanted taller gears. Basically a poor mans overdrive. I felt I had enough low end torque from the mild 454 that it wouldnt be a problem and would also benefit mpg.

I think this was December 2013. I took a week and a half off from work and tore into her. I had previously driven my Nova when I had it down for the motor swap in the summer of 2012. However this being winter I did not want to drive it as the 4.11 posi and 13" wide rear tires combined with a loose converter and healthy small block = carnage on slick roads.

I welded my trailing arms, on the seam, every 4" or so to stiffen them up slightly. I also replaced all the bushings with polyurethane. I ordered (2) Dominator 2600 series bags and Schraeder kit from Borris (member way2low2). He made a custom 3" spacer for the top bag mounts. I was worried about having to run too much pressure to achieve the ride height I wanted. It seams to work pretty well. I typically run about 35 PSI at this ride height, and bumped that up to 50-60 psi before I dragged the TT anywhere.
Attached Images

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote