View Single Post
Old 12-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #205
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Re: 71' Blazer Rust bucket build

Another whole day of being able to work on this thing but man did it kick my ass for the most part. Got the front of the floor spot welded in place then tackled the lower A pillar on the passenger side. I ended up purchasing 3 of them before I got one that actually was made with enough flange to be able to drill holes and bolt it to the floor pan. up to this point everything was going smoothly. I figured I would go ahead and start temporarily bolting in the B pillar bracing to make sure everything was lined up correctly before proceeding too far. The original pcs had long 5/16" bolts (that you have to cut the inside of the B pillar to get to inside the truck) the new plates had 3/8" nuts welded to them instead of the original 5/16" so I had to go on the hunt for some 3/8" bolts that were long enough. Took an hour but finally found some. Once I got the correct bolts coming down from the top It lined up pretty nice but I had to take it back out in order to modify the lower floor riser hole. The hole must have been punched in the riser before the factory spot welded the floor pan to the riser and the rear lip of the pan covered half of the hole. I did not notice it until I already had it partially bolted in. After I got that all in I decided to test fit the torsion box. I finally deduced after way too long screwing with it that the front flange that welds to the front floor lip must have been dropped or just plain bent wrong from the start. I ended up having to bend it out towards the front of the truck almost 3/4" in order to be able to get the bolt in the rear cross member spot. It still does not sit as snug as the original did but I can live with it as long as everything fits in the end. Cant weld it in until I fit the original paint doors I sourced for it way back. Tomorrow I am going to figure out where I want to cut the patch pc that butts up to the back side of the quarter panel there at the B pillar. I still have yet to find a good quality outer lower B pillar patch. I have 2 here and both are stamped a bit different from each other and neither matches the original contours. Hoping to get it wrapped up tomorrow but i know my luck

Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote