View Single Post
Old 11-07-2021, 11:29 PM   #193
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: I'm legit again, my "new" '68 LB

Pima County has less stringent requirements than Maricopa. Also, since my truck is manual, they won't touch it. I'm told to set up the rear wheels on the rollers, they put probes in the exhaust pipes, a chock under the left front tire, and tell me to drive 30 MPH in 3rd.

A JiffyLube employee ruined a B&M megashifter on the TH350 in my '67 K/10 Suburban. Not knowing how to lift the anti-reverse bar with 2 fingers, he muscled his way with it. I had to replace it. Since then I change my own oil.

I ran the Orange Stepside to PHX for a gig last month. I try to keep the speed under 70 since a 53 year old truck has a lot of rattles and vibrations, and I'm not comfortable in high speed traffic either. I mostly stay in the right lane, and watch my rear view mirrors. A GPS helps with more accurate groundspeed info than the bouncing speedo needle, and also gives me my location. I mount it on top of the pulled-out ashtray and taped to the radio delete plate. In PHX it's a necessity for getting around in traffic. Phoenix drivers are agressive. Not as much as LA drivers were 40 - 50 years ago. LA drivers have mellowed since then, due to their overwhelming traffic density.

Do you have packrats? They love the soy-based insulation on Japanese wiring. They used to attack the wiring on my '92 Subaru. Honda sells a ''Rodent Tape''. It's just like standard 1/2'' vinyl 3M electrical tape, but it's green and laced with capsicum. And costs about $70 a roll. Also has a cartoon mouse inside a red circle with a red line thru it every few inches.
Also with generations of varmints sampling the local cucina with salsas, tacos and burritos, the local packrats might prefer it for it's sabor picante. A small bottle of McIlhenny's might work as well, until the next carwash.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 11-08-2021 at 12:01 AM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote