Thread: 47-59 Daily drivers
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 04:38 PM   #3
mr48chev

Re: Daily drivers

I daily drove my 48 for years as a lot of the time it was the only vehicle I owned that ran. To the point where I wore the 250 that is in it out so bad that it didn't have enough compression to run.

When I first put the 250 in the 48 in 1989 It had 95 K on it and with the 3 speed and a Nova 3.08 rear it ran down the road and got 20 mpg on road trips.

I drove it to work most every day for 15 years and at times worked out of it on the dairy. Use it as a work truck all week, give it a bath and a clean up on Friday evening and drive it to a Saturday car show. I even took it on one long trip to Bonneville and Pleasanton and back in 1998.

The Big issue with a truck with drum brakes is you have to learn defensive driving to a high level and always give yourself room to stop behind the car in front of you and always know where your escape route is around that car if needed.
Unless you have so much money in the paint job that you are afraid to park it where it will get dinged or such a radical engine that it is a bit too tempermental for daily driving most of these trucks can be daily drivers. Some may not be snow rigs because pickups that are don't have good weight bias are lousy in the snow. I ran studded snow tires on mine a number of winters because I had to get to work The real issue in cold weather is that these trucks are drafty unless you have done a lot of work with weather strip and other keep the cold air out and what warm air you have in efforts.

Still we all know guys who have older rigs that are nice but not over the top expensive of builds who don't drive them much because they "are too valuable" but their daily driver is an 80,000 buck F350 with every bell and whistle you can find. We do have a guy in Yakima who drives his GMC with a blown 302 six almost every day year round. He has a shop in Yakima where does custom wiring jobs on vehicles and usually you see him running around town and at almost every rod trot in the area.

Truthfully when my truck gets done this time around it isn't going to get driven in bad weater or winter weather intentionally . Hitting a rain storm while on the road isn't an issue or even hitting a bit of unseansonal snow on a high mountain pass in late spring as Nvrdone or I might do if we take of on a nice spring day and head to Seattle or even Levenworth for the day. I've been in 3 inches of fresh snow on the 28th of April on top of the pass on the way to Henry Haulers car show one year. The plan is to keep it a lot nicer and not use it as a truck this time.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote