Thread: 47-59 Daily drivers
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2023, 11:44 PM   #4
dsraven

Re: Daily drivers

are you looking for ideas for a daily driver project or power ideas or project style ideas for an existing project? are you still looking at that 5 window dump truck in the field? looking for ideas for that? maybe add some parameters and get better responses?
for me, a daily driver has a fuel injected late model engine with an electronic o/d transmission and gears that will support cruising down the highway with a boat in tow or hauling a load to the dump. I want suspension that is soft enough to level out the road bumps but will still haul a load. since I am a chevy guy that means an LS engine and 4l65E trans likely. my daily driver is a '15 silverado crew cab 4x4 with 5.3 auto o/d. 3.43 gears. it gets about 10 litres per 100 kilometers, or about 23 miles per gallon. i have had it as low as 8.8 l/100 km, which is about 26 mpg, and as high as 17 l/100 km, which is 13 mpg. that last number is towing a boat through the rockies uphill into the wind most of the way with rain and a full load of stuff in the truck. my old '03 avalanche had a 5.3 auto o.d with 4.10 gears and it did the same thing the '15 silverado does but with more comfort and at least as good mileage. the difference is it had a 4 spd auto and the 15 has a 6 spd auto with cyl cancelling injection and the annoying "auto learn" that is always upshifting itself into no power mode and then downshifting when i step on the gas to get going. i always say they spent a lot of money to get the sameoutcome for fuel mileage. haha
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote