Thread: 47-59 Daily drivers
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2023, 12:24 AM   #5
woodwright
Enjoying left field

Re: Daily drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
are you looking for ideas for a daily driver project or power ideas or project style ideas for an existing project? are you still looking at that 5 window dump truck in the field? looking for ideas for that? maybe add some parameters and get better responses?
for me, a daily driver has a fuel injected late model engine with an electronic o/d transmission and gears that will support cruising down the highway with a boat in tow or hauling a load to the dump. I want suspension that is soft enough to level out the road bumps but will still haul a load. since I am a chevy guy that means an LS engine and 4l65E trans likely. my daily driver is a '15 silverado crew cab 4x4 with 5.3 auto o/d. 3.43 gears. it gets about 10 litres per 100 kilometers, or about 23 miles per gallon. i have had it as low as 8.8 l/100 km, which is about 26 mpg, and as high as 17 l/100 km, which is 13 mpg. that last number is towing a boat through the rockies uphill into the wind most of the way with rain and a full load of stuff in the truck. my old '03 avalanche had a 5.3 auto o.d with 4.10 gears and it did the same thing the '15 silverado does but with more comfort and at least as good mileage. the difference is it had a 4 spd auto and the 15 has a 6 spd auto with cyl cancelling injection and the annoying "auto learn" that is always upshifting itself into no power mode and then downshifting when i step on the gas to get going. i always say they spent a lot of money to get the sameoutcome for fuel mileage. haha

Your ideals are very similar to mine. 😄 realistically, I'm having project withdrawals and I'm jonesing bad😁 If you look through my signature build, I took parts from 6 different trucks and some hand fabricated parts and was building a 70 GMC into something GM never intended. Then I went through a nasty divorce and I just couldn't look at it anymore. It was part of a life that was over. Then I met an amazing woman with 4 kids that needed a dad and was able to sell those bad memories for a killer ring to lock it down🙂. But it's been 7 years and I'm wanting to build something again. I was obsessed with the 69-72s forever but I want to do something different. I've seen a ton of the 1.5T+ ADs around in ranchers fields and thought it would be cool and different to build one with modern parts. And I could actually use a heavier duty tilt flatbed for work once in awhile. I'm a contractor and sometimes have loads too big for my half ton, and the tilt bed would be nice for demo runs to the dump. But on the other hand, a light, 2wd shortbed with an LS/5 speed would be a fun commuter for these high speed Montana highways. I also like the 55-59s. But I don't see many of those around.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote