View Single Post
Old 10-01-2022, 10:30 PM   #5
FAKKY

Re: How to fix this - after patch panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leegreen View Post
the blue lines are new welds in the outer door skin, and it was during those welds the problem was made? And there was no hammering done on panel at all yet?
Welding shrinks metal, sometimes the results in a panel look like the panel has too much metal, but have faith in that simple fact, your welds shrank. The panel above may be bowed out, but because the shrunk section below is pulling the surface. like squeezing a balloon.

If the first two sentences are a correct assumption I'd start by grinding those weld beads down, then hammer on dolly to stretch the weld seam. It does not take much. lots of little taps are better that walloping it like your driving nails. Work your way inwards along the weld and watch how the metal responds. The corner you show in the weld bead is going to be the tricky bit, and it is probably why the warp extends up into the centre of the door skin uneaveny.
HI leegreen
Yes sorry I have should have made that more clear in hindsight.
The blue lines represent the rough path of the welds/patches.
The red resembles the worst section of the "bow out".

Being my first time - when I was creating the patch with the lips for the door edges - I was just really focused on getting somewhat straight on the edges and wasnt really paying attention to much else ... then wherever the edge of the patch was in the main section of the door skin I just cut along that and welded it in.

No hammering or dolly work.

Do I need to heat the metal after I grind down ?
Also since the entire is sealed up assume I am going to have to cut the inside door to gain access to the rear for a dolly ...... but then when I weld that up - wont I have the same issue on the inside ? But I guess thats less noticeable/important than the outside ?

thanks !!